Re: [OM] OM-1 film advance

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 film advance
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:57:09 -0500
I assume from your description that the wind lever just free-wheels -- you can
"wind" it, but nothing happens.  Probably the mechanism jammed and someone
forced
the wind lever, damaging the wind clutch.  To check, open the back cover and see
if you can wind the shutter but turning the sprocket with your thumb -- this
will
by-pass the wind assembly completely.  Unless there's something actually jamming
the wind gears in the top or bottom, or the shutter mechanism itself has jammed,
you will be able to wind the camera then fire it.  If so, the wind clutch will
have to be replaced or rebuilt.  If not -- if the shutter can't be wound by the
sprocket -- the chances of having a _major_ problem increase greatly.  Still,
it's seldom an unrepairable problem.