Re: [OM] OM-1 film advance

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 film advance
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:39:53 -0700
on 7/2/02 5:24 PM, Magma53@xxxxxxx at Magma53@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I recently received a broken OM-1 for free in an Ebay auction as part of a
> kit.  The problem is that the wind lever does not engage and the shutter
> cannot be cocked.  The shutter button is also dead.  Is there any way I can
> repair this myself?
> I know that I can send it to Camtech, but I don't want to spend on repairs
> what I can buy a working one from Ebay with.  I was just wondering if I could
> make a backup body of this camera, as I already have an OM-2.
> -Kyle Jeffery (New to the list)

There are probably a couple things it could be, based on my reading. I'm
'playing' at camera repair trying to learn something of it, and I don't feel
I'm ready to tackle any OM's yet... they can be complicated. If you feel
like giving it a free shot, get some small screwdrivers and have at it, but
a bag of parts isn't going to be worth even what a 'parts' body would
bring...

For the cost of a CLA you can get a working body brought to a known state,
instead of a ? "working" body off the auctions. Even if it takes parts or
additional for repairs, you should be able to get away for $100-$125, which
is what a truly good-working body will cost. So you wind up spending the
money either way, but by CLA'ing this one you know when it was done and
exactly what condition it is in. Less question marks later on...

Or you could sell it to me and I'll play with it <g>.
--

Jim Brokaw