Re: [OM] ( OM ) Photographic manipulation & Ansel Adams

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Photographic manipulation & Ansel Adams
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 01:06:11 -0400
I'm not attacking you personally, George, okay?  But does the casual
observer care that Speilberg uses music to establish a mood or the Hitchcock
used multiple camera angles and quick cuts to convey tension?  The casual
observer, by definition doesn't care about these things.

It's too bad that you feel cheated (is that the word?) to find out about the
tools the masters used but I think of it as a glimpse behind the curtain and
I'm very glad to get it!  It humanizes those guys and means that many of us
can do great work too if we work hard to master the tools as the masters
did.

Isn't "Hernandez" still something very special?  Who cares if he added
sparkle to the gravestones?  He had the talent to recognize that he had a
composition worth exploring.  A raw image worth "developing" (pun intended).

By his mastery of the technology and experience he knew how to expose for
moonlight and timed the fading daylight left.  He reduced the distractions
and brought out an idealized image.

Sculptors are allowed to use various mallets and chisels.  Lighten up.  :)

Lama

> My main gripe with AA is not the fact that the images were heavily
> manipulated, but the fact that is wasn't heavily advertised as
manipulated.