RE: [OM] ( OM ) Photographic manipulation & Ansel Adams

Subject: RE: [OM] ( OM ) Photographic manipulation & Ansel Adams
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:17:19 -0600
The human eye has more latitude to discriminate between shadowed and
well-lit areas than does any film media. The camera can only expose for one
condition so most photographers expose to get enough detail in the shadows
without washing out the highlights. This will usually not give an image that
looks like what you saw with your eye unless some post-exposure manipulation
is done. /jnm

big snip <<<<
Just got to weigh in on this. Ask yourself everone,
how many times have we all been very excited about a
scene that you just took a picture of only to be let
down when you pop the neg in the enlarger and run off
a "straight print". "That's not what I saw!" is often
my reaction. So what do we do? You go back and work
with the neg, burning, dodging, a slight shift of the
easel, a small change in density or contrast perhaps.
I think even a "great photographer" would do this or
have a great printer do it for him. When I first
started learning basic darkroom work in the 70's
maniplation of the final print was just part of the
education. Just my $.02    John Robison