Re: [OM] shades

Subject: Re: [OM] shades
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 16:08:16 -0700
on 6/30/02 2:35 PM, Barry B. Bean at bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:37:13 -0500, Bill Pearce wrote:
>
>> To be ideally effective, shade should be
>> rectangular, to match the frame.
>
> To be ideally effective, shades would come with a lens cap that fit the end of
> the shade!
>
> --
> Barry B. Bean
> Bean & Bean Cotton Company
> Peach Orchard, MO
> www.beancotton.com

Many of the Cosina-Voigtlander LTM rangefinder lenses come with just such a
cap. I suppose capping the lens is more important with rangefinder
focal-plane-shutter cameras, as there is no mirror to block a 'sun image'
from burning a hole in the shutter curtain.

In a thread on the CVUG mailing list on person reported leaving a Leica
lying in the sun, and getting a crescent shaped hole burnt in the shutter
curtain where the solar track moved across the curtain.

FWIW, the Cosina Voigtlander cameras have a dual shutter (based on the Copal
shutter, I believe) which acts as both a light-leak prevention (in place of
an SLR mirror) and also shields the 'real' shutter from 'sun image' damage.
As all the shutter blades are metal, I'm not sure what kind of sun damage
could occur anyway... The downside for this is that the dual shutter is
noisy compared with a Leica's single cloth focal-plane shutter.
--

Jim Brokaw