Re: [OM] archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] archive slide scanning
From: Sue Gregson <sue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:18:15 +0100

On Saturday, June 29, 2002, at 06:56 PM, Walt Wayman wrote:

I say it for this reason: Too often these photo editing programs are used to cover the ineptness of the photographer, correcting problems that could have been corrected or avoided at the time the picture was taken. I have absolutely no quibble with a bit of dodging, burning in, contrast or color
intensity adjustments, or a little cropping.

But if you must regularly correct exposure, remove utility poles that
appear to be sticking out of people’s heads, crop extensively, apply
filters of one sort or another, sit with mouse in hand clicking "apply" and "undo" until, like the infinite number of monkeys pounding on the infinite number of typewriters, you finally hit on something that looks about right,
then, while you may be entitled to a platinum pocket protector, you
definitely need to reevaluate your ability as a photographer.

I would contend that if you’ve ever spent more than 10 minutes diddling
with any picture in the computer, you probably screwed it up when you shot
it.  But that's just my opinion.

Walt

Walt
I'd perhaps have agreed with you before I started my big 'scan in 50 year old negs that haven't been kept in a fridge' project. The diddling I've needed to do on some, not all I hasten to add, has been painstaking at times. But I have images of people and places long gone now and it has certain it been worth the effort. The one thing I have noticed is that there was a fault with the lens on the camera my grandfather used - I have had to fix the same set of marks on lots of photos - must have been dust inside the equipment that he couldn't shift.

But if I had to do this with my own pictures I'd shoot the photographer!

Cheers
Sue Gregson