Re: [OM] Archiving digital data

Subject: Re: [OM] Archiving digital data
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:18:10 -0700
Although one can buy CD ROM disks that will (at least in theory)
last hundreds of years, it strikes me that if one has much of a
library, periodically copying old disks to new formats to preserve
compatibility with future recording formats causes great logistics
problems.

The issue isn't restricted to photos.  I need to save everything, basically.

My approach is bulk storage, so that conversion to a new format
takes one operation, not hundreds to thousands of manual operations.
Nor is any thought required, which is good, as I now have 12 GBytes
of files in 103,000 files and folders, some 18 years accumulation.
It may sound like a lot, but it all fits on one or two tapes,
costing ten or twenty dollars.

-snip

Joe Gwinn

Hope you saved your original images.  If you did, pick out a good one
and perform a scan of it with a current high quality scanner. Touch
it up a little in PhotoShop if it has faded a little.  Print it.
Print your archived file of your 1985 scan. Compare.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?