Re: [OM] Dudley Do-right fix my negative / archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Dudley Do-right fix my negative / archive slide scanning
From: "Steve" <Steve.Gullick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:49:47 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Buddy Walters" <BWalters@xxxxxxxxx>

> For all of those that are disappointed with some of Ansel Adams darkroom
> techniques, I offer this suggestion.
> Take Two bodies and load one with print film and use the great Olympus
> Auto mode.  The other body has to be in manual mode and load a roll of
> Velvia.
> Next you must go to various scenes and take photos with each camera
> (manual mode first of course) of the same scene.  Middle of the day
> would be great, maybe on a nice white sandy beach, or downtown with some
> harsh shadows.  Maybe find a real shiny black car in the sun and shoot
> around it.
> Next compare the outcome.
> I'll bet the prints taken with the auto camera and printed on the auto
> machines will be far and away your best exposures.
> Maybe before judgment is passed on Ansel's developing techniques, we
> should consider what most partake in, and take for granted by shooting
> print film in Auto mode every day.
> Tweak, adjust, enhance in the camera or at Wall Marts Fuji's auto
> developer / printer or do it by hand.
> Who cares?  Just get the shot and make it look pretty and be proud.
> BW

I have to say that this does not make a lot of sense to me. Admittedly the
excellent OTF auto mode will allow for 'between stops' exposures, it will
not compensate for excessive contrast, it cannot allow part of the frame to
have more exposure than another part of the frame. ( This can only be
achieved during the printing stage). Velvia,like most slide film is not very
tolerant of under/over exposure BUT, if you set your meter correctly in
manual mode there is no reason why the results will not be as good if not
better that an auto printed print film. The auto printer will always go for
the 'average' exposure. Who wants 'average' prints - not me.