Re: No, just the OM40 PC :) (was: Re: [OM] wide lens &PC )

Subject: Re: No, just the OM40 PC :) (was: Re: [OM] wide lens &PC )
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:09:23 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Simon Gotlieb wrote:

> Thought I'd add my $0.02 on the OM-40 (PC) as an owner of one as well.

<SNIP>

> My only complaint about it is mainly because the OM-1 is so easy to use.
> When shooting manually with the OM40 I find it a bit annoying that it reads
> out exposure speeds for me and I have to either check the speed ring or spin
> it around and count back again to make sure I have the correct exposure.
> Much easier on the OM-1 to just choose my aperture and then just spin it
> around till the needle reads right - but that's just personal opinion. I
> would have preferred it to work more like the OM-2.

Actually, IMO neither of the two-diget-bodies are really suitable for
manual work. The fact that it shows the shutter speed in the viewfinder,
not how "far off" ones exposure is from what the meeter reccomends, makes
the two-digit-bodies my last choise for manual exposure.

> The ESP metering is surprisingly good and has handled most situations really
> well, and of course it syncs with my T20 much better than the OM-1.
>
> As for a P&S camera, I much prefer my IS-1000. With autofocus its great for
> a fast picture.

I have no doubts. However having no other Olympus cameras but the OM's,
and never having tried any IS-camera, the OM40 is the closest to a "point
and shoot" that my kit contains :)

Now please, do not comment on the greatness of the IS-series and thereby
force me to want to go make an investment....you bunch of enabelers :)

> BTW I missed out on a great opportunity yesterday, when I took my films to
> be developed. Wellington Photographic Supplies had a mint OM-4 with a
> Vivitar Series 1 28-100 tele-zoom on it for NZD$495 - about US$235. I went
> home to plead and beg with my wife to be allowed to add it to my collection
> and of course when I got back, it was gone. That'll teach me to wait and ask
> permission!

I think the principle is, that it is easier to get forgiveness than
permission, no? :)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering