Re: [OM] OMers...equipment for astronomy

Subject: Re: [OM] OMers...equipment for astronomy
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:51:35 +0100
Still, would have to be a seriously keen amateur! Even professionals often find that Meades and the like fulfil all their needs. At the University of London Observatory we've got two 24" telescopes, one of which was donated to us and one of which was built in 1974 at a cost of #42,000. Other than those two seriously professional-quality behemoths and a couple of 1860s-vintage refractors all the recent purchases have been Meades - 8" and 10" SCTs and Maks. Amateurs buying #18,000 telescopes must have seriously dark skies and good weather!

Roger

Gareth.J.Martin wrote:

I wouldn't bet against an amateur owning that. Its a beast technologically and has a very large aperture, 20" I think. As far as I can remember the largest amaeture aperture is about 42" and this is in the region of a five figure sum. Judging by the equipment on it the scope is probably used for astrophotography as well as high precision task such as astrometry, stellar photometry and novae hunting to name but a few uses. Hell, my mate knows an amatuer who sold his #20000 car to buy an #18000 telescope. He promply bought a #2000 banger to transport it in!
Best Wishes,
Gareth.

That surely can't be an amateur owning that? Must be a college or university. No doubt it's an impressive instrument but that's a hell of a credit card bill.

Roger

William Clark wrote:

Hey all,

Everyone knows just how great the OM1 (and n) is for astronomy.  But you
need a good telescope.  Get a load of this one that is for sale (only 1 yr.
old).  Hard to believe people spend that much on the stuff.

Any takers?

-Bill

http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=128997