Re: [OM] OMers...equipment for astronomy

Subject: Re: [OM] OMers...equipment for astronomy
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:40:55 +0100
I wouldn't bet against an amateur owning that. Its a beast
technologically and has a very large aperture, 20" I think. As far as I
can remember the largest amaeture aperture is about 42" and this is in
the region of a five figure sum. Judging by the equipment on it the
scope is probably used for astrophotography as well as high precision
task such as astrometry, stellar photometry and novae hunting to name
but a few uses. Hell, my mate knows an amatuer who sold his £20000 car
to buy an £18000 telescope. He promply bought a £2000 banger to
transport it in!

Best Wishes,
Gareth.

> That surely can't be an amateur owning that?  Must be a college or
> university.  No doubt it's an impressive instrument but that's a hell of
> a credit card bill.
>
> Roger
>
> William Clark wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Everyone knows just how great the OM1 (and n) is for astronomy.  But you
> > need a good telescope.  Get a load of this one that is for sale (only 1 yr.
> > old).  Hard to believe people spend that much on the stuff.
> >
> > Any takers?
> >
> > -Bill
> >

> > http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=128997

Gareth.J.Martin,