Re: [OM] Fw: LP NOTICE: eBay Auction(s) Cancelled - User Agreement

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: LP NOTICE: eBay Auction(s) Cancelled - User Agreement
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:28:14 -0400
Cc: <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tom,
It's really very wierd.  On second reading, it appears that someone thinks
that you are soliciting new members for the Oly List with your eb*y listing.
(On first reading, I thought they accused you of DIRECTLY obtaining personal
info via the listing somehow.)  It now appears that they don't want you to
solicit people for any outside activity whatsoever.  It seems like a radical
interpretation to me, out of keeping with the actual spirit of the rule.
"They" are claiming if one person reads your ad and signs up on the Oly List
that YOU have "obtained" personally identifiable information through your
eBay-facilitated transaction.  That's ridiculous to me.  A person in this
scenario would be acting in free will.  That's a remarkable twisting of
words.  My interpretation of breaking the rule would be if someone asked you
a question about your ad and you forced a subscription to the Oly List upon
them.  Clearly that would be using personal info obtained by your ad but
your actions seem light-years from that to me.

Maybe that spoiler-guy complained to eb*y and some flunky-kid pulled the
plug.  My two cents.

Lamadoo

From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

eb*y said:
> > You violated eBay's User Agreement by collecting the contact information
> of other eBay members through the view item page.

Tom asked: