Re: [OM] Humidity suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Humidity suggestions
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:25:59 -0500
I agree with the others on packing alot of ziplock bags and fresh silica gel packets. An added measure - if you have to travel in a real downpour for example and want to protect items not likely to be used enroute - is to add a strip of duct tape completely overlapping the "zip" lock and closed around it. If done completely flat it is very waterproof and prevents the zip bags getting pulled open in a backpack, pocket, etc.

If you were pleased with 400 film in the past, I would switch to 200 - even consider 100 ASA. For alot of daylight shooting I would go with the 100 in print or slide (pack a lightweight tripod - plus air and/or cable release if you don't have a selftimer for indoor or long lenses). And I'd second the idea of taking along several rolls of black & white too! Gosh, the far east for a month - make the most of it!

Best of luck - and have a great trip!
Lee
----Original Message Follows----
Subject: [OM] Humidity suggestions

I'll be going to Thailand on Monday, then Hong Kong, then Taiwan for a full
month!!  :-)  What I am concerned is humidity.  I had to get one of my
lenses cleaned when I was in taiwan last time, it just gummed up that badly
and the blades wouldn't reopen.  There's quite a few vets on this list, and
so I was wondering if you could give me some hints on what I can do to
minimize humidity related problems.

#2, Thailand is the land of gold.  The temples, the women etc..  high in
heavy contract colors.  Any suggestions on film use?  I usually shoot
Superia 400, because the color saturation is good, but people turn out a bit
less accurate on skin tones.  But is this a good choice?  Should I move to
200 speed film instead?  100 speed?  I'll be shooting mostly outdoor shots I
think, but I am not completely sure.  I find the superia 400 to be fine
grained already, finer than the Kodak Gold 200's, but the extra stop helps.
But I'm wondering if there's a film that is as highly versatile that I'm not
using...

Thanks.
Albert