Re: [OM] AE with the OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] AE with the OM-2S
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:28:23 -0700
on 6/20/02 6:08 PM, Doggre@xxxxxxx at Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, I'm disappointed with SOME of the pics I took at the Bellingham
> Highland Games on the 1st.  Not wanting to be too bothered with matters
> photographic, so that I could "focus" my attention more closely on the events
> and the piping, I threw the 2S into autoexposure mode and just focused and
> shot.  The 35 -105 3.5/4.5 was a joy to use.  I really didn't feel the need
> for a wider or longer lens.  Then I got the slides today.  Provia 100F.  The
> contrast between the shade on my side of the field and the bright sun on the
> majority of the field, including the far side, meant that I have some
> (several, in fact) throwaway pics.  Should have taken the time to spot meter
> and mentally interpolate a usable aperture.  Where the majority of the scene
> was in full sun, or all shade, all's fine.  I don't blame the camera for ANY
> of the disappointing shots.  Provia 100F is wonderful slide film.  I love the
> natural colors.

Slide film... little latitude for a contrasty light situation. Color
negative would probably have gotten more on the film, then you could work
with the important subject areas.

> Tacoma Highland Games this coming weekend.  More Provia 100F, after a first
> roll of K64.  I'm going to give that spotmeter a workout.  Maybe shoot one
> pic in AE and one in manual, just to compare results from each mode.  Haven't
> ventured into "Program" mode yet.  There is a lot to learn to get the most
> out of the 2S.

Program is AE with the camera choosing the lens aperture also. I don't think
it biases for more than one program, some cameras will offer a choice of
'depth of field' (IOW lower shutter speeds to close up the lens) or 'action'
(keeps lens open more for faster shutter speeds). I have a Fujica AX Program
that offers a couple choices. I don't know which way or how Olympus biased
the Program function on the OM-2s, maybe its in the manual...?

> Hard part is, I'm getting into piping.  For those of you who "speak"
> bagpipes, cousin gave me her dad's old Peter Henderson African blackwood
> chanter.  No longer made (Hardie now has the shop, right?).  I was
> speechless.  Just about passed out.  Took it to one of the vendor booths at
> Bellingham H.G. to get a reed for it, and the guy said, "Ooooohhhh, you've
> got a Henderson!"  Helped me pick out a reed (omigod, there are several just
> for practice chanters, DOZENS (cane, plastic, soft, loud) for the bagpipe
> chanter, drones -- you think photography is a deep subject -- piping is a
> philosophy and a religion!).  Took me over to the cashier, saying, "Mary!  He
> has a Henderson!", to which Mary replied, "Ooooooooo!!!!"  So of course I had
> to buy a practice CD and book: "College of Piping Tutor".  My feet haven't
> touched the ground yet.

Sort of like wandering around with an old Leica...

> Last weekend, went to Govt. Locks in Ballard for the free Elliott Bay Pipe
> Band Father's Day concert, and picked up the pipe sergeant's card -- he
> teaches.  Again, used AE on the 2S, and everything looks pretty good in those
> slides -- Cool, overcast, even shade light over the band -- not the huge
> contrast situation that existed in Bellingham.

Less contrasty light, much easier for the camera and slide film to work out
OK on AE.

> Soooo, I learned a valuable lesson about AE here.  When a high contrast
> situation, watch it.  Spot meter, compute, and trust your instincts.  Or am I
> doing something wrong (a real possibility, I fear...)?

No, I think its situational, just the natural outcome of the light at each
event.

> I love playing with all the camera features in most every situation EXCEPT
> watching pipers.... then I want to concentrate on the fingering, the sound,
> etc.  Not to mention I usually have tears in my eyes and can't focus for
> spit.  I'm WORTHLESS as a photographer around a pipe band.  Just mush.

Bagpipe music makes me cry too...

> The thing that bothers me most about using AE mode with the 2S is the feeling
> I'm driving a Ferrari with an automatic transmission.... a sacrilege.  Surely
> there is some kind of bad karma associated with it for which I will pay
> dearly.  Thoughts?

Well, driving a Ferrari with an automatic would still be a very interesting
experience, I would love to do it sometime... any Ferrari. I rode in a 328
once, when it cornered it was like the car bent around the corners...

>(Yeah, yeah, I know, the bagpipes are the punishment...).

Well, I wasn't going to say that... but you're right. <g>

--

Jim Brokaw