[OM] AE with the OM-2S

Subject: [OM] AE with the OM-2S
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:08:04 EDT
Well, I'm disappointed with SOME of the pics I took at the Bellingham
Highland Games on the 1st.  Not wanting to be too bothered with matters
photographic, so that I could "focus" my attention more closely on the events
and the piping, I threw the 2S into autoexposure mode and just focused and
shot.  The 35 -105 3.5/4.5 was a joy to use.  I really didn't feel the need
for a wider or longer lens.  Then I got the slides today.  Provia 100F.  The
contrast between the shade on my side of the field and the bright sun on the
majority of the field, including the far side, meant that I have some
(several, in fact) throwaway pics.  Should have taken the time to spot meter
and mentally interpolate a usable aperture.  Where the majority of the scene
was in full sun, or all shade, all's fine.  I don't blame the camera for ANY
of the disappointing shots.  Provia 100F is wonderful slide film.  I love the
natural colors.

Tacoma Highland Games this coming weekend.  More Provia 100F, after a first
roll of K64.  I'm going to give that spotmeter a workout.  Maybe shoot one
pic in AE and one in manual, just to compare results from each mode.  Haven't
ventured into "Program" mode yet.  There is a lot to learn to get the most
out of the 2S.

Hard part is, I'm getting into piping.  For those of you who "speak"
bagpipes, cousin gave me her dad's old Peter Henderson African blackwood
chanter.  No longer made (Hardie now has the shop, right?).  I was
speechless.  Just about passed out.  Took it to one of the vendor booths at
Bellingham H.G. to get a reed for it, and the guy said, "Ooooohhhh, you've
got a Henderson!"  Helped me pick out a reed (omigod, there are several just
for practice chanters, DOZENS (cane, plastic, soft, loud) for the bagpipe
chanter, drones -- you think photography is a deep subject -- piping is a
philosophy and a religion!).  Took me over to the cashier, saying, "Mary!  He
has a Henderson!", to which Mary replied, "Ooooooooo!!!!"  So of course I had
to buy a practice CD and book: "College of Piping Tutor".  My feet haven't
touched the ground yet.

Last weekend, went to Govt. Locks in Ballard for the free Elliott Bay Pipe
Band Father's Day concert, and picked up the pipe sergeant's card -- he
teaches.  Again, used AE on the 2S, and everything looks pretty good in those
slides -- Cool, overcast, even shade light over the band -- not the huge
contrast situation that existed in Bellingham.

Soooo, I learned a valuable lesson about AE here.  When a high contrast
situation, watch it.  Spot meter, compute, and trust your instincts.  Or am I
doing something wrong (a real possibility, I fear...)?

I love playing with all the camera features in most every situation EXCEPT
watching pipers.... then I want to concentrate on the fingering, the sound,
etc.  Not to mention I usually have tears in my eyes and can't focus for
spit.  I'm WORTHLESS as a photographer around a pipe band.  Just mush.

The thing that bothers me most about using AE mode with the 2S is the feeling
I'm driving a Ferrari with an automatic transmission.... a sacrilege.  Surely
there is some kind of bad karma associated with it for which I will pay
dearly.  Thoughts?  (Yeah, yeah, I know, the bagpipes are the punishment...).

Rich