Re: [OM] Humidity suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Humidity suggestions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:42:27 -0700
I'll be going to Thailand on Monday, then Hong Kong, then Taiwan for
a full month!!  :-)  What I am concerned is humidity.  I had to get
one of my lenses cleaned when I was in taiwan last time, it just
gummed up that badly and the blades wouldn't reopen.  There's quite
a few vets on this list, and so I was wondering if you could give me
some hints on what I can do to minimize humidity related problems.
#2, Thailand is the land of gold.  The temples, the women etc..
high in heavy contract colors.  Any suggestions on film use?  I
usually shoot Superia 400, because the color saturation is good, but
people turn out a bit less accurate on skin tones.  But is this a
good choice?  Should I move to 200 speed film instead?  100 speed?
I'll be shooting mostly outdoor shots I think, but I am not
completely sure.  I find the superia 400 to be fine grained already,
finer than the Kodak Gold 200's, but the extra stop helps.  But I'm
wondering if there's a film that is as highly versatile that I'm not
using...
Thanks.
Albert

I don't think it was humidity, it was just time for the lens to be
cleaned.  I was in Thailand for two weeks and it rained about 12 of
the days there with no humidity related OM problems. The rain did not
make for great pictures, but it blessedly lowered the temperature to
the high 80's(F). Best pictures for us were the tours out of Chiang
Mai up north.

I am a 'chrome user. So cannot recommend film unless you want to
switch. :-)  I did not find many situations that could not be handled
even in the cloudy weather by ISO400, except for dark interiors.  And
with a little strategic bracing even those were manageable without
much use of flash.

It is going to be very hot. Go as light as possible. The cameras will
hold up better than you will.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California