RE: [OM] exposure-compensation failure

Subject: RE: [OM] exposure-compensation failure
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:28:35 -0700
 > You're doing something wrong -- and I'll bet you're lifting the
compensation
 dial when you turn it. (Lifting when turning doesn't change the film
speed,
 so there is no exposure change.)

 Isn't this exactly the same thing, though?

No it isn't.

 Lift-and-turn = speed of film goes up by 2 stops, compensation stays the
same

It is the turning of the bottom part of the dial that makes the
compensation or the film speed adjustment. When you lift the spring
loaded top it just disconnects from the bottom.  When you rotate and
re-engage, then turn the dial with the indicator line back to zero is
when the film speed changes. Lifting the top and turning it does
nothing at to the settings of the camera except the compensation
indicator line is displaced.

 dont-lift-and-turn = speed stays the same, compensation goes up by two
stops.

 Either way, the camera thinks there's been a 2 stop change. The whole
_point_ of lift-and-turn -vs- turn is that if you just want to fiddle with
the exposure, but not worry about losing track of which speed film you've
got, you change the exposure compensation, shoot, and then put it back to 0
again. If you change the film speed, then you can forget this.

 (oh, there's one difference; changing the exposure compensation makes the
little +- indicator appear in the viewfinder, changing the speed doesn't)

 -- dan

I think William probably got it exactly right.  Wish I had thought of it.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?