Re: [OM] slide viewer for flatbed scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] slide viewer for flatbed scanners
From: Chris Johns <lc-johns@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:48:13 -0500
I don't know of a good way to make one of these, or to get an attachment to work on a scanner that isn't already rigged for this. Microtek has an attachment that can be ordered separately, however it has a cable that attaches to the rear of the scanner to work...so it can only be used with a Microtek. Cannon offers "Canoscan" that comes with a rather simple but nice film holder that fits into the cover, which then backlights the media for the scanning operation.

If you end up looking at either of these options, I give a thumbs up on the Canon (which comes with a nice software bundle, including OCR) and a thumbs marginal on the Microtek. I picked up my last Canon with all for about $150. I'll bet it's less now.

Hope this helps you sort out the options on the cheap end.

Chris