Re: [OM] slide viewer for flatbed scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] slide viewer for flatbed scanners
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:04:14 -0700
HP used to sell those little 'tents' for their flatbeds. I believe they even have a patent on it. The problem is that light from below is still shining on the face of the slide, reducing contrast and sometimes causing reflections from the non-flat shape of mounted slides. I had a friend who tried this way out and eventually gave it up. He did say that a flat black mask around the image helped a bit, but basically the scanned images were never very good. He e-mailed me some and I agreed, ok for casual web images, but nothing better. YMMV.

I also looked at the link about using florescent flashlights and decided I could earn enough to buy a cheap flatbed with transparency adapter built in in less time and effort that it looked like it would take to make that work..

Moose

Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

That said, the following page has a method to get around this problem; I've
not tried it myself, but it looks plausible:
http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/scanning/Backlighter.html