[OM] Re: State of Digital Photography (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: State of Digital Photography (long)
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:34:16 +0000
Greetings All,
Please forgive me for digressing from discussions of OM, but I would like to describe a recent series of events that I think speaks volumes about the state of digital photography. Let me begin by stating up front that I see its good points..most significant being quick turn around time. It was for this reason we decided to purchase a Nikon Coolpix 950 to use in our Pathology practice. It is used mainly in the weekly Cancer Conference in which newly diagnosed cancer cases are presented for discussion before a group of surgeons, oncologists, etc to discuss treatment options. Typically we get the patient names the afternoon before or the morning of the conference, so digital is a god-send for quickly obtaining images for presentation (in the old days we used polaroid slide film that we developed on site...don't want to go back there). Last Monday the Coolpix died (for the second time). I called around town to find a rental...no luck. I called around to different departments in the hospital and located 5 other digital cameras. Two were unsuitable for use with a microscope and the other three were BROKEN. All were less than two years old. Now I know these things are complicated but is their reliability really that much less than a typical film wunderbrick or for that matter a VCR! I'd really like to see Consumers Union do a real survey on the average time of use before a digital camera goes belly-up. I have a feeling we're being sold a bill of goods. OM content(not really): I tried my wife's Olympus 700uz which works fine but is unsuited for shooting through a microscope.

Charlie Geilfuss