Re: [OM] Looking for advice on Party Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for advice on Party Pics
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 02:02:09 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Unless you're taking and selling portraits at the party, I think you may be
> in the 'overkill zone'. Since it's noon time, there'll be window light, so,
> for party pics, I'd just bring along an Olympus XA, or a point and shoot, or
> a point and shoot digital. That OM/BG2/T32/winder rig will alienate you from
> the guests. You'll ALWAYS have that rig in your lap, and people will know you
> as "the photographer" and may not relax when you are near. They may be uneasy
> to have that rig pointed in their faces.
> A P&S or a simple body with a fast
> 135mm lens would be my way to do it, at least with a 135 you can take shots
> from across the room, somewhat surrepticiously even, and not stick an SLR rig
> in their faces.

Actually, I mostly agree. I've done some formal party-photographing
(mostly silver-aniversaries etc - staying far far away from weddings), so
I will share whatever I've learned.

I've found that the simple combo of an OM2s/p, a T32 and a 50/1.8 just
works out for the most part. It allows a reasonable distance, without
requireing  that I stay in the other side of the room - or at the room
next door :)

With a T32 you can do bounce flash if the ceiling is of a good color, no
need for the BG2 - which is truely big and scary :)

The most important thing is really to pay attention to the color
balance. If you go fast film and no flash, consider that daylight,
floucent light and tungsten light all give a different cast. A flash might
help on that, but is more intrusive to the guest.

Whatever you do, get the color temperature right :) Speaking of experience
here....get it right....:)

> With the P&S you can at least hide it until you use it. It won't be screaming
> "LOOK!, "I'M THE GEEKY PHOTOGRAPHER."

Very good point. However that is as much a matter of behavior as it is of
gear. I've seen people screaming "geeky photographer" with a p&s.

> This is just my opinion, I'm sure there'l be others who'll tell you to use
> TWO flashes, and bring extra bodies along, and an assistant.  <g>

Well, if done tastefully, it is actually very much possible to remain
unnoticed, even with SLR and flash. Though forget all about the winder,
it's too big and too noisy - and unless your parties are classes wilder
than what I have ever done, there will not really be action requireing
that you do fast sequences (then again, if you need fast sequences:
remember to invite me to your next party *GG*). Remember that most people
tend to be preoccupied with the party and not noticing the photo-guy :)

I'd say go one main body and a 50/1.8 with a T32. Bring a wide-angle of
some sort if you have, to get those "crowd-shots" (bounce the flash for
these...)

Bring a spare body if you have, preloaded with film. Make a point of not
using it unless you actually have an unfixable failure.

Make a point of not changing lenses more than once. If there will be
lunch, get shots of everyone, two by two at the table when occupied with
eating/drinking/talking. That would be with the 50/1.8. If you want to be
unintrusive, try to take a few pictures, then get back to your seat and
eat/drink/chat, then continue the photoing. *NEVER* leave the camera on
the table between shots, if you want to be discrete - a handbag on the
floor is handy. With the right timing, people will not really notice
you. They will notice you if you circle the table two times in a row
blinding everyone with the flash, though.

When you've got two (2) shots of each at the table, change to the
wide-angle and get the crowds at the table or wherever they will be.

I usually keep a 135mm in the bag, but I have only used it rarely (in
situations where there were speaches and plenty of light).

Ohh, speaking of bags....don't take a camera bag. Any kind of discrete
handbag (male or female themed as appropriate) is usually big enough to
conceal an OM body.

One final thing: only take equipment you are comfortable with. Otherwise
you will be the "geeky photography guy".

Now, pros, go ahead and tell me I am doing it all wrong :))

--thomas

> George S.
>
> bsandyman@xxxxxxx writes:
>

> I will be going to a party this weekend and intend to
> take pictures.
>
> My plan right now is to go armed with an OM2n, with a
> BG2 sporting a T32 and driven by a winder2. (Overkill
> perhaps?) I intend to get some 800 speed film for this.
> The nose for this is a Tokina 28-80 F4
>
> Since the party itself is at noon (although indoors), I
> thought I also might try some ambient light pictures
> with a non OM body and a 135 f2.8. I am encouraged to
> give it a try based on some of the concert photos that
> have been talked about here lately. Again I intend to
> use 800 speed film.
>
> Does anyone have comments or suggestions? Is this too
> many cameras to juggle? Does my plan (such as it is)
> have grevious errors?
>
> Thanks.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)