Re: [OM] 50/3.5 macro and 28/3.5 problems

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/3.5 macro and 28/3.5 problems
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:36:07 -0500
As others have said, the aperture of the macro lens is jammed.  Oil on the
blades/mechanism is extremely rare in this model, and there's no sign of it
in your image.  What does sometimes happen is that a lever in the diaphragm's
mechanism wears out -- only replacement of the lever will correct this
problem.  After that, it's anyone's guess -- but it is probably worth fixing.

For the 28mm, first you'll need to remove the filter from the front of the
lens.  It could be that the filter is "cross threaded" -- look at the
filter/front ring of the lens from the side and see if they are parallel to
each other.  If not, if one side is lower than the other, write and I'll give
you some tricks to unjam them.  Equally, if there is any sign that the rings
aren't perfectly round, write and I'll pass along some suggestions to solve
that problem.

On some filters you can unscrew the retaining ring inside the front of the
filter ring and remove the glass -- that is, if the filter rings aren't
bent.  At best, doing this may remove enough stress on the filter ring that
it will unscrew easily.  If not, it reduces the chance that flying glass will
cause any trouble should you have to put undue pressure on it.

Once the filter has been unscrewed from the front rings of the lens, you can
proceed with reassembly -- including the detent ball that's missing!