[OM] What's the Zuiko compactness secret?

Subject: [OM] What's the Zuiko compactness secret?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:19:05 -0600
 from the 85/2 review just posted:

>Despite the fast f2 maximum aperture, Olympus has kept the front
>element size down to the regular 49mm filter size.

 I've just been comparing the sizes of lenses, and, apart from the basic
necessity for a bigger lens to make it faster, I'm still amazed at how small
the Zuiko lenses are compared to pretty much every third-party lens I've
got.

 What's the secret there? Is it different glass / better design / something
else? I guess what I'm wondering is if Olympus could make their lenses so
small, how come everyone else doesn't? Bodies, sure, are going to be a whole
lot more complex to reduce the size, but lenses?

 -- dan