Re: [OM] What's the Zuiko compactness secret?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's the Zuiko compactness secret?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:01:18 -0700
I think it is a result of clear purpose and strong direction from Maitani. It would be fairer to compare Zuikos to other major primary brands. The third-party makers have a tougher job in that they must have designs that are adaptable to work on many different mounts. That's bound to make keeping size and weight down more difficult. Even compared to Can*n, Nik*n, et. al. the Zuiko prime lenses are wonderfully light and compact.

With zooms, the story is a little different and third-party lenses are very competitive on size and weight in many cases. A couple of examples:

                  Zuiko        Tamron SP        Zuiko        Tokina AT-X
                 35-80/2.8     35-105/2.8      65-200/4     35-200/3.5-4.5
Min. Length         99            101             147             128
Max Dia.            69             76              71              70
Weight             650            650             730             680
Filter Size         62             67              55              67
Reg. Close Focus   0.6m           1.0m            1.2m            2.1m
Max. Repro.       1:8.6          1:7.3           1:3.3           1:3.8

The above only compares specs, but I have chosen examples where there should not be a great deal of difference in performance. I know the 35-80 is a legendary lens, but the Tamron is very highly regarded. It also has extra reach that's important to me and I'm certainly pleased with the results from mine. The 65-200 doesn't have the rep of the 35-80 and Tokina AT-Xs are good lenses. The 35-200 is one of my favorite lenses, giving what I consider outstanding results.

I happen to have all this info at hand because I read all the comments on the list about the Zuikos and sometimes think "Maybe I should get one of those.", then wonder how they compare with what I already have.

So this won't sound like Zuiko zoom bashing, the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-3.5 is smaller, lighter, better looking and a better lens than the Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5.

Moose

Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

I've just been comparing the sizes of lenses, and, apart from the basic
necessity for a bigger lens to make it faster, I'm still amazed at how small
the Zuiko lenses are compared to pretty much every third-party lens I've
got.