Re: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:59:26 -0500
At 07:55 6/12/02, you wrote:
Hi John,
Who needs three times lucky. You nailed it this time. You say this film was
rated at 3200 and scanned on a el cheapo flatbed scanner... I am stunned
that the images are so sharp and the grain looks superb. Excellent work.
Cheers Adam

Thanks Adam . . . I feel lucky and was mentally prepared to adjust again for a third whack at it later this month with more TMZ. TMZ is a multi-speed emulsion with a nominal ISO rating is 800 to 1000 depending on developer used. Its designed and intended to be used at EI 3200 with P2 processing (hence its name: P3200). Made an educated guess after reading the data sheet that backing off by a stop to EI 1600 and P1 processing would reduce graininess and contrast to about that of Tri-X (albeit TMZ's tabular grain shape is different and harsher). It did this better than I had anticipated! According to its data sheet, there's little gained in further contrast or graininess reduction using it at EI 800 with normal processing.

The most useful length lens turned out to be the 85/2 at f/2.8, at least for this venue, plus it's quite compact for its length and speed. The 135/2.8 is fast enough wide open for the shutter speeds desired, relatively small for its length and certainly useable. However, it creates a one-stop dimmer viewfinder making focusing harder in very low light and has greater risk of showing camera shake.

Thanks,
-- John