Re: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:54:42 -0400
Oh.  So.... Why did  the Yellow Father name the film after its P2 speed,
breaking tradition?  I thought films were always, I mean ALWAYS named after
their nominal (ASA in the olden days) speed.  By this insane naming
convention, Tri-X is now "Tri-X 1600".  How does that help anyone?

Pondering a class action suit..... :)
Lamadoo

From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Yes . . . it surprised me too.  TMax P3200 is actually an ISO 800 or ISO
> 1000 film depending on specific developing chemistry.  If it's used at EI
> 3200, it must be P2 processed.  As I understand it, the emulsion was
> designed to be pushed to P2 without getting too contrasty or unduly grainy
> given its speed.  At EI 1600, it's comparable in granularity to Tri-X at
EI
> 400, even though the granules will be a different shape, and it backs off
> the contrast some.
>
> P3200's data sheet has information about using it at EI 800, 1600, 3200
and
> 6400.  The film cartridge allows marking the latter three for P1 through
P3