[OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:14:01 -0500
Went to the same location two weeks later for a second attempt at concert photography at their monthly "Blues Jam." Shot a roll of TMax 3200 at EI 1600 in an OM-2S and processed it Push 1. Had a roll of Provia 1600 at EI 1600 in an OM-4 and processed it at Push 2. Had one slung over each shoulder and alternated between the two using an 85/2 and 135/2.8 Zuiko primes at f/2.8 with shutter speeds varying between 1/60th and 1/250th depending on lighting level. I liked using the 85 and 135 lengths better than the 50/1.2 I was forced to use wide open before (maybe I really do need a 100/2 now). Exposures looked good (negative and transparency densities). I wasn't as happy with the Provia due to its granularity, especially at Push 2. The P3200 proofs looked much better, especially with the type of subject material (Blues).

With the faster film, the yield rate of "acceptable" imagery went up to about 2/3 of each roll. I don't have any scans of the Provia yet, but did scan eight of the 4x6 proofs using a dirt cheap flatbed. They are representative of the yield from the P3200 and on my screen look about as close as a flatbed 4x6 can to the actual proofs. Put them here on my web site:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/bluesjam/

Comments and suggestions on how to improve composition and yield rate are most welcome!

Thanks,
-- John