Re: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Second Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:18:43 -0500
At 23:49 6/10/02, Lama asked:
Huh?  What?

[snip]

I have used color materials for low light work so this TMax3200 is new
territory for me.  Do you specify which developer/dilution/temperature also?
Details, man!

TMax P3200 is actually an ISO 1000 film if processed in TMax developers and an ISO 800 film when processed in other developers. Its emulsion is designed to be pushed. If used at EI 3200, it must (OK, should) be processed P2. Therefore, if it's used at EI 1600, it should be processed P1. The data sheet for it on Kodak's U.S. site is here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f32/f32Contents.shtml

I used the older stuff. Since Kodak is changing the film base and recommended developing details are changing slightly, the new stuff which should hit the shelves some time later this year has a new data sheet:
  http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4016/f4016.jhtml

These are combined data sheets that cover 100, 400 and P3200. Scroll down near the end to get to the P3200 information and see the discussion about its actual film speed. I don't have my own darkroom, thus it had to be sent to a pro lab for processing. I called the lab first to see what developer they use. It's TMax which isn't that crucial, but did tell me what to expect. According to the lab personnel (that actually developed the negatives), it was processed in TMax developer using the data sheet's P1 recommendations (no snip test). The data sheet PDF files have the characteristic curves for P3200 and I looked at them before using the film. EI 1600 was used because I thought I could get away with it, and it would open up the latitude a little while making its granularity a little finer.

The results were better than anticipated regarding contrast and granularity. The black guitarist has skin so dark it almost disappeared into the background when tracking him through the viewfinder. I was really worried there wouldn't be any tonal separation between him and the very low key background. Looked at the negatives with a loupe. There's complete detail of him on the negative, albeit just within the tonal range, and it's more than shows in the proofs.

Hope this explains more of it.

-- John