Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap

Subject: Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:33:28 -0700
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:50:38 +0000, mike blayney wrote:

>Many, many years ago when I first took up photgraphy a neighbour and
>professional photographer told me to use the neck strap as a brace when
>taking photos as follows: The strap should be round the neck with the right
>arm passed through the strap (assuming you're right handed) so that the
>camera naturally hangs under the right arm like a shoulder bag. The length
>of the strap should be adjusted so that when the camera is brought to the
>eye the strap is taught accross your back and the camera is pressed firmly
>against your face (actually it will probably be your thumbs against your
>face) - this locks the camera to your whole body rather than relying on the
>steadiness of the hands. You can get away with a longer strap if you're
>willing to take a loop or two around your thumb/fingers. Does anyone adopt
>this method?

That was my standard climbing carry when I used to shoot rock climbers. With
the strap around my neck and right shoulder, I could hang
from the rock with my left hand and shoot with my right, using tension on the
strap to help stabilize the camera. When I went back to
climbing, a tug on the strap, and the camera would sit neatly on my back so I
could avoid bashing it more than necessary.

--
B.B. Bean
Have horn, will travel