RE: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap

Subject: RE: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:55:06 -0600
> I take the straps and hoops off all my cameras. I don't like the way they
> scratch up the finish.

 I just re-checked the strap on mine, and I don't think there's any way it
_can_ mess with the finish. There's two small metal rings through the fixing
points on the body, then the strap goes through the metal rings -- and it
works out that the strap protects the body from the rings, because it's
stiff enough that it always keeps the two apart. (I've got a photo if that
isn't a clear enough description).

 The problem is that the strap is, in general, fairly stiff, so it makes it
harder to just shove the whole thing away into a pocket/bag/etc.

also:

> Optech (and others) make the bits to attach to the camera separately
> and they connect together to make a small strap when you don't need
> the full shoulder strap - most of the time.

 which sounds like an interesting idea -- taking a look on their site, it's
just a couple of buckles that they use to hold it together, which would be
easy enough to sew up. I like their claim that "Equipment instantly feels
50 0ghter and 100% more comfortable when using a PRO STRAP". 100% more
comfortable? That's pretty darned comfortable..

 I'm not sure about using just the small strap as a wrist loop, though,
because it would be across the back of the camera, rather than at the side,
and I suspect the snaps would remove some of the flexibility I'd otherwise
have -- needs testing, I guess, and there's always the option of using
velcro instead of snaps (sounds sketchy, I know, but if you have multiple
layers it's very solid)

 thanks for all the tips! (and I'll give that short-strap-to-brace technique
a try as well, sounds very useful)

 -- dan