Re: [OM] Camera Bag - opinions on LowePro Stealth Reporter 650 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Bag - opinions on LowePro Stealth Reporter 650 ?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 02:24:14 +0200 (CEST)
First of all, thanks for all the advices and suggestions. I looked
carefully at the alternatives when I went shopping today, and I have tried
the Trekker's as suggested. Backpacks are good for carrying long hauls,
but imo. rather inconvenient when it comes to accessing gear "on the fly".
It is not often that I find myself trekking for a couple of hours, then
stopping to take pictures on one location, so I think this is not the way
for me to go right now. I do have a camera backpack (not LowePro, though)
but I haven't used it for a couple of years.

I much prefer shoulder bags, although the back seems to disagree after
walking a long day (maybe that's just a hint that I should look more
carefully at zooms to replace some primes?). I have a Lowepro Magnum AW
for when I carry a lot of gear. Despite its size and weight when full, I
really like it. However it doesn't take the laptop no matter what I try.
But the quality of LowePro has definitely showed: it's been around a lot,
but still looks new.

So, I ventured out to look for shoulder bags today. The criteria was, that
it should be able to contain my laptop, at least one (but preferably two)
bodies and a couple of lenses, and be rather durable since I probably will
be dragging it through hell and back. Spend a whole lot of time looking
around at different options, but came back to only the Lovepro Stealth
Reporter series as fitting the bill. There were alternatives - something
from Samsonite, but that was way overpriced and didn't really feel like it
was designed for cameras.

For size-reasons alone, I was looking at the Lowepro model 600 - but
squeezing the laptop in there was a very tight fit (how 'bout that:
shopping for a camera bag and not bringing the camera but a computer...).
The 650 is a perfect fit for the laptop, but is really huge - bigger than
the Magnum AW, it would turn out.

Anyways, I bought the bag (and a LowePro filter wallet also), and have now
spent a pleasent evening trying different combinations of OMs and Zuiks in
the bag. Would you imagine, that a 300/4.5 not only enters, but looks
*small* in there? It easilly swallows two bodies, 5 primes (from
24-200mm), a zoom, the 300/4.5 and a T32 at the same time as a laptop -
and it seems to have room for more.

Not really sure if that says anything about the bag being big or the
om-stuff being compact, though - or both :)

Of course, I'd not be carrying all that gear around when I go anywhere.
However it does manage to contain what I need and space to spare is always
a good thing - mmm, I like the idea of having snack-space in my bags :)

Okie, thus far I am quite content. It's getting its fire-test this
saturday when I jump on the flight to Lausannes. I still haven't decided
what gear or films to take, though....

--thomas

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)