Re: [OM] Shift Lens 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift Lens 2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:13:15 -0500
At 13:29 6/5/02, Colin Kaminski wrote:

If a longer focal length would be more useful for my application, can I use
a 2X or other converter or will it vignette?
While shifting quickly would be convenient it is not absolutely necessary. I
would prefer to stick with my OM-1!

Remember both Zuiko Shift lenses are manual stop-down. This means setting focus with it wide open and activating the "stop-down" button for setting exposure and making the photograph. At anything besides wide open, expect the viewfinder to be dim . . . the more it's stopped down, the dimmer the viewfinder.

The camera's TTL metering responds only to how much or little is let in by the aperture. The "biasing lever" on the lens is fixed; it does not move with the aperture ring. This means the OM-1 and OM-1n meters respond sluggishly to changes in aperture and one must meter carefully keeping in mind it can take a couple seconds for the meter to "settle" after changing aperture, and especially right after activating the manual stop-down. It's due to the type of meters in them; there's nothing wrong with your camera's meter.

I noted this the first time I used the 35/2.8 Zuiko Shift on my OM-1n body.

-- John