RE: [OM] New to List/Shift Lenses

Subject: RE: [OM] New to List/Shift Lenses
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:23:43 -0500
Colin:

I think that you might find that the 35 shift will not work for you.
When shifted the image takes on the appearance of a cropped 21mm lens.
A longer focal length would work better (C*anon has a 90 shift/tilt;
N*ikon has an 85, I think) as there would be less distortion.

It seems like you want the camera to move parallel to the subject so
that they are always in the center of the frame.  If the movement is
quick, this will be difficult to capture by shifting.

The 35 shift is a magnificent lens (my absolute favorite) that has many
other uses beyond the one you were hoping for.  Best luck on your
endeavor, and I hope this helps.

Bob

<snip>

My requirements are a series of shots with the camera moving down a rail
with the film plane staying in a plane for all exposures. So my subject
moves across the film plane in successive exposures. I then realign the
shots and store them as strips on a holographic plate. Each eye can only
see one photo at a time and it creates a stereo 3-D effect on the
horizontal axis.

In order to use more of my film plane and correct for off axis
aberrations I would like to use a shift lens. I am not sure how to
phrase my questions. Does the 35mm shift lens have an image size like a
prime focus 35mm lens? I am not quite sure how the larger image circle
effects things. Can I use it for portraits? Are there any after market
shift lenses? Are there any longer shift lenses? Has anyone made a shift
mount? I have been pretty happy with my 50/1.8 from a image size
standpoint. I don't have to use up too much of my small studio to use
it. I have lots of light so I can really use any f-stop.