Re: [OM] CAMERA BAGS

Subject: Re: [OM] CAMERA BAGS
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:30:54 +0200
Hi Winsor

Fjallraven (english = mountain fox) were founded in 1960 in Sweden, and
made some pretty good backpacking stuff (good packs, fine light tents).
They did not keep up with internal pack advances in the 70's and 80's, but
they made good frame packs; their packs were a lot more snowproof than most
American packs, and used leather straps and buckles rather than zips.

The Kaanken came out around 1980, maybe a bit earlier, and was immediately
popular all over Scandinavia (Sweden and Denmark anyway); it was almost
part of the 'uniform' for young Danish teachers. It was obviously not
'forerunner' for all daypacks, although in Scandinavia that was pretty much
true.

The Kaanken is not perfect; the single bottom wears out, and the double zip
around the panel opening tends to fail after a few years.
The double carrying handles are more functional than any other daypack
handles, which is very convenient around town or in crowds, when you do not
want to use the shoulder straps.

I have at least six of them lying about the house with different contents!

Roger Key

>I have longed for a camera backpacker bag, and with help from my
girlfriend
>(she the engineer...), a lot of silver tape, stuffing material (PE foam)
and
>a small backpacker, like the Fjallräven Kånken
><http://www.fjallraven.se/spring2002/en/23510.htm> .
>
>An hour later, I had a bag that hold all my current OM equipment:
>
>OM-1 and OM-4 with semi/hard cases and 50/1.8
>135/2.8
>35-70/3.6
>28/3.5
>Tokina 300/5.5
>2X macro/tele converter
>3 extension tubes in case
>Some filters and films.
>
>For me it's perfect!
>
>// Johan

And that is probably the best solution. Custom fit to the OM, too.
Smart and resourceful.

Although I do have a small problem with the dishonest puffery on the
web site. The forerunner of all day packs indeed. There were
certainly day packs before the 20 years this company claims to be in
business.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California