RE: [OM] A&I Mailers for Kodachrome

Subject: RE: [OM] A&I Mailers for Kodachrome
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:27:15 -0800
So I gathered from a discussion I initiated here some months ago. I've never
had any real problem with it, and it's fine for snapshot work, IMHO. Not
really any less expensive now days than anything else, which was its
original appeal, many years ago. I have 20 year-old sets of slides and negs
from RGB re-spooled film that's survived quite nicely, and it's *never* been
coddled as to storage. Also, FYI, most all the respooled movie films *are*
Fuji and Kodak :-)

Anyway, the point of my post was that RGB has full development services, not
just  respooled film. While I have NOT used them for Kodachrome, I *have*
used them for C-41 and E-6 processing, and they have done a fine job. With
all the commentary on the list about there being a dearth of Kodachrome
processing labs, I figured it would be useful for people to know there's
another still around.

I was surprised to hear the earlier story of scratched film from A&I.
Although I'm just as sure it can happen, I expect it's quite rare. You
should get better care of your film at labs like A&I or RGB than at many
"consumer" labs. After all, proper processing without film damage is their
core business. Development of other films was added to keep their people
busy during the times when motion picture film isn't happening.

These labs exist to provide repeatable, careful processing of film for the
motion picture industry. Damage--like scratches--caused during processing of
a day's shooting would be a huge potential liability, as the studio wouldn't
be able to use the film for final prints.

---
Scott Gomez