Re: [OM] Plastic lenses, was TAMRON 28-80 SP

Subject: Re: [OM] Plastic lenses, was TAMRON 28-80 SP
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 17:45:13 -0700
-snip
Plastic can be superior to metal for many uses with proper design. I certainly appreciate its effect in making lenses lighter.

-snp

Moose

Everything you say is true. Unfortunately I think that in most cases plastic is just a cheap substitute that will do for the time being. Inappropriate use sort of makes a prejudice against plastic in general. It does have the advantage of making some things more affordable, but perhaps more disposable. Not to say there are not valid uses. A plastic intake manifold on a Corvette is probably a rational choice over a cast magnesium one as found on an Audi V8. It does not make a difference in the performance and allows the money to spent where it will do more good. Most people love their non-staining vinyl coating which is on all automobile leather upholstery now. A plastic lens mount and helical focusing threads are probably not good ideas.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?