Re: [OM] ( OM ) What we photograph - some thoughts.

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) What we photograph - some thoughts.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:59:21 -0500
At 15:36 6/1/02, Brian Swale wrote:

I've just had what was for me a gruelling few days. A few days ago a pet
rabbit died in my arms after a long illness. And I was shattered.

Brian,
I feel for you

It contains a bit of déjà vu . . .
A couple of years ago our spaniel of 13 years died from sudden liver failure. We had raised her from about 4 weeks old. My wife was also guilt-ridden by the photographs she could have made but didn't. I had used her (the spaniel) as a convenient subject occasionally for testing film, lenses, camera bodies, etc. Nothing spectacular, but pulled a number of the acceptable ones from the archives, had them printed, and made a small (somewhat thin) photo album of them. Don't fret over what you don't have, but do look through your own archives. Surely something is there, even if cropped, and make a small photo album of what you do find.

Like you, the experience has changed some of our "shooting" priorities. I now take time periodically to observe the dog's (another spaniel) and cat's behaviors and then capture them from good vantage points while they're doing what they normally do. They're often the subjects of the last half-dozen or so frames of whatever I have left to burn in the camera that will sit for a while if not used . . . usually Kodachrome, but occasionally Scala, Tri-X and Portra.

Just some thoughts and ideas about what to do with the "trailers" of a few frames many of us end up with during our other shooting sprees.

-- John