[OM] ( OM ) What we photograph - some thoughts.

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) What we photograph - some thoughts.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 08:36:59 +1200
Hi folk,

I've just had what was for me a gruelling few days. A few days ago a pet
rabbit died in my arms after a long illness. And I was shattered.

"A rabbit?", you're thinking.  Yes, just a rather stupid, but very friendly,
affectionate, always come to you to say hello and give me a pat or a cuddle
or rub noses, buddy and companion of 5 years, inherited from my daughter
who had grown tired of it and now has young males on her mind.  Somebody
I fed and cleaned every day, every day.

And I got to thinking of the photos I had taken of her, and what I might have
taken, and extending the line of thought to the wider scene of life.

I thought of the shots I had visualised, but not taken. Memorable, everyday
scenes, such as the head poked around a corner, watching my every move,
ears pricked up, long grey / white whiskers in the side-light, and a big round
liquid brown eye watching, watching.

So this is what I suggest, for all of you who live with people or animals.

Portraits are fine, but what is also very memorable is shots of every-day
things and poses and activities that loved ones do.

Most of us can probably think of favourite parts of our day, and yet never put
them on film.

Daughter or son slacking out on a bean-bag in front of the TV; daughter
sitting for hours with a telephone grafted into an ear, a pet sitting in their
favourite corner, where they go day after day out of preference, a pet sitting
in their "waiting for owner/buddy to come home" pose, family having
breakfast / dinner / whatever.....  Those everyday memorable predictable
situations that some time come to an end.

Don't wait for that perfect time to take a shot. It may never come. In the
words of the N*k* ad, "Just do it"

Brian