Re: [OM] Beattie 1-3 (82402) vs Olympus 2-13 focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie 1-3 (82402) vs Olympus 2-13 focusing screen
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:05:25 -0700
Different strokes for different folks. I like the way the 2-13 microprism 'collar' area disappears when in focus. I have a Beattie all-matte in the OM-4 and a 2-13 in the 4Ti. They are both brighter than the 1 series screens and both work well for me. Using different screens lets me know which viewfinder I'm looking through.

I've never made a brightness comparison between them. Given the ability of the human eye to adjust to light, I'm not sure a subjective comparison would tell much. I guess putting 2 cameras side by side with identical lenses might show a difference? The real test woud be to put each in an OM-1 or 2 (which read brightness from the focusing screen) with a fixed light source and compare the meter readings. Trouble is, the 2-13 screen has to have part of it's tab filed off to fit the earlier cameras adn I don't feel like doing that to mine. Anybody want to donate a 2-4 or 2-13 screen for scientific investigation, just send it on and I'll post the results ;-) ! Spare Beatties welcome as well :-D !

Winsor Crosby wrote:

Has anyone compared the brightness of an Olympus 2-13
versus a Beattie 1-3 (82402) focusing screen?  I would
think that the Beattie would be at least a little brighter, as
the center does not contain a microprism.  Comments?

Pete

The Olympus 2-13 is essentially all microprism - just different sizes. The microprism area for split image focus is not darker than the surrounding areas. It literally disappears when in focus which is one of the things I found difficult to get used to. The 1-13 was easier to point to specific areas in the field of view to check focus.