[OM] Oh Frabjous Day

Subject: [OM] Oh Frabjous Day
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:27:35 -0700
First, USPS delivered a package that originated with the UK Royal Mail with the Tokina 80-200/2.8. It's in really beautiful condition, with only one tiny paint chip to show from use. What really impresses me is that it weighs almost a pound less than the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 that I've been using! It's also a little smaller, but the weight is the big thing. As others have pointed out, the tripod mount is less obtrusive and probably stronger than the Tamron. The plastic lens hood is much flimsier than the sturdy metal Tamron, but also a lot lighter. Gary's lens tests give the edge to the Tamron, but the Tokina looks very good too. With less weight and bulk, I'll probably use the Tokina more often.

Second, UPS delivered 2 packages, neither significantly damaged. The small one was (another) Vivitar 2x Macro-Teleconverter. How could I resist for $26? The big one contained a tripod. OK, so I already have tripods. I love my Bogen 3236 with 3047 head for use at home or near the car. If I had bearer (native or whatever), I'd carry it everywhere, but at 14 lbs, it doesn't travel much. The little Velbon 343E is tiny, only weighs a little less than 2 lbs., fits in even modest travel bags and fulfills the 'any tripod is better than no tripod' role admirably. The problem was in the middle where I have a Cullman 2903 tripod/pan-head. It's not a bad tripod, very quick to set up, quick release plates, flexible leg angle adjustment, but with the usual light aluminum problems of vibration and flex. Also, there is some movement in the center column even all the way down and the vertical pan action isn't smooth, even after relubing. I inherited it from my dad, so I've tried to like it for years but I really don't, same problem I have with the Nikons he had.

I've been not too seriously looking at CF tripods and ball heads for some time. I came to the conclusion that the Gitzos, Velbons and SLIKs were just too expensive and the Bogens, in spite of great features, just aren't rigid enough, too much flex in the legs, esp. on the 4 section. So I'd been looking at the Hakubas, where the slight weight penalty of aluminum vs. magnesium top of the Velbons resulted in better prices. I'd been weighing the merits of a little more height and a little less weight in the 3 section against the smaller package of the 4 section. Last week, a new Hakuba 6240 showed up on *Bay in a Ritz camera auction and I got it for $220, significantly less than Web prices and way below the $363 at my local shop, Looking Glass.

Now I needed a head. Lots of reading and research left me confused, but interested in a Gitzo 1276M on another Ritz auction, so I headed down to Looking Glass for some hands on. Didn't like the Gitzo, too big and heavy for my purposes and a stiff action (somebody got a good deal on the *Bay one at $102). After lots of playing, I was impressed by the Velbon PH-253. I had heard nothing about it. It's amazingly small and light cast magnesium, yet is smooth and easily clamps very securely. I went home and could find almost nothing about it on the web when I looked, but did find good words about its big brother, the PH-263. I also realized the head on my little Velbon 343E was its little brother, a PH-243. The next day, I took down an OM and the Tokina 150-500/5.6, a 5 lb. lens. The 5.6oz. (159gr) head held it easily! The head is $60 at B&H, but I decided all the hands on time I'd spent checking out tripods and heads there mandated buying it from Looking glass for $77.

I put the 2 together today and am very impressed. The combination weighs a little less than 4 lbs., half a pound less than the Cullman and is much more rigid and vibration resistant. There is a centerpost tension adjustment for load weight adjustment and the column clamps very solidly. I prefer clamp leg locks to twist locks and woudn't mind tension adjustment on the ball, but I think I've got a great combination of features, performace and weight at a great price.

Hope sharing my joy is also helpful for those thinking about buying a tripod and/or head. Now it's time to take some more pictures!

Moose