Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:04:18 -0700
 >AG-Schnozz wrote: The demise of film, caused by digital, is greatly
exaggerated.<

In the latest issue of VIVID LIGHT there is an article that I found very
interesting.  It points out that digital images that are stored on magnetic
media my be rendered inaccessible by the march of technology.  An example
was given of trying to read a 5 1/4 disc on a modern computer or to find a
drive and software that will allow one to do so.

It seems to me that until a way is found that allows archival storage of
digital images, those of us who want to preserve photos of family history,
etc. should think long and hard about depending solely on digital.

In my quest for sharpness and ease of production, as well as the need to
satisfy my family's need for instant photo gratification, I had not thought
of this implication.

I am photographing my family and especially my grand children on film as
well as digital.  Hopefully, someday, they will appreciate the capability of
printing the "old" photos that grampa took with his long obsolete equipment.
I wonder if those stored on CD as we do it now will still be accessible 30
or 40 years from now?

Dave Dougherty

Even though this has been discussed for some time (I first saw a similar article in Scientific American about 5 years ago.) I don't think it is really an insurmountable problem. It is serious if you are putting your pictures in a time capsule or a tomb. As technology changes it is a simple matter to copy your archives to the new medium. If you don't think you can keep up with that you can always dump that old $79 printer and get one which has ink and paper combinations that are far more archival than color film and prints. Probably current commercial digital prints will last just as long as traditional commercial prints.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?