[OM] RE: OM How bad is this lens damaged?

Subject: [OM] RE: OM How bad is this lens damaged?
From: "Beverly A. Cordova" <bcordova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:03:34 -0700
Hi,
Well I finally have the motivation to speak up rather than just lurk.  Pain
is such a motivator!

I recently bought a really nice 21mm f/2 lens complete with hard case on
ebay.  I am very excited to own this lens.

When it arrived I find that it appears that the case is mislabeled.  The
case says Olympus OM 21mm but the lens would not fit so the seller took the
back lens cap off to get the lens to fit.  He included a nice Olympus soft
pouch as a cancellation prize for the ill-fitting hard case.  A nice
gesture.

Here?s the rub.  Not only does the hard case not fit but the foam in the top
is old that it completely disintegrated into a fine yellow dust which was
thoroughly disbursed throughout the case during transit.  Because the back
lens cover was removed from the lens, I am afraid it is now disbursed
throughout my new expensive lens, as well!

I have not contacted the seller yet.  I?m looking for advise on how much
damage you think this might have done and what it would take to repair it.
Will it require a complete professional cleaning in order to prevent any
dust that is inside from causing damage?  Would you just return the lens and
get your money back?

I am getting so much out of reading what you all write.  I?m new at being
serious about photography although I have owned my OM 1md since I bought it
new in Hong Kong in about 1973.  I also bought a Yashica Mat 124 and a
Honeywell Pentax SP500.  My daughter, who was a baby at the time, takes
beautiful pictures with the Pentax.  As soon as I started using the OM 1md,
I got hooked.  I now have an OM 4Ti and a 3Ti.  I would be embarrassed to
tell you how many lenses I own.  I guess that qualifies me as a Zuikoholic.
Yes, my name is Beverly and I am a Zuikoholic.  But this list has me
convinced that I am not alone.

Thank you for sharing you knowledge.  I appreciate any feedback I can get on
my dilemma.

Beverly