Re: [OM] OM-10 sticky shutter magnets

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 sticky shutter magnets
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 12:22:02 -0500
I suspect that the problem was due to Olympus' use of plastic curtain
shafts -- in an attempt to "smooth" out their travel and avoid excessive
wear, they used too much oil.  The problem also occurs in OM-2n's,
OM-G's, and OM-PC's as well, but relatively rarely.  The problem was so
rampant with the OM-10 that it destroyed a good camera's reputation --
the 10 is an excellent design otherwise.  I have no figures re:
percentages, but there were times when we had literally hundreds of
OM-10's waiting for warranty repair, and were getting more every day.
It's so common that until proven otherwise, we assume an OM-10 we get
for service _has_ sticky magnet.