Re: [OM] OM-10 sticky shutter magnets (+ new lens)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 sticky shutter magnets (+ new lens)
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 19:23:34 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: <clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 sticky shutter magnets

> I suspect that the problem was due to Olympus' use of plastic curtain
> shafts -- in an attempt to "smooth" out their travel and avoid excessive
> wear, they used too much oil.  The problem also occurs in OM-2n's,
> OM-G's, and OM-PC's as well, but relatively rarely.  The problem was so
> rampant with the OM-10 that it destroyed a good camera's reputation --
> the 10 is an excellent design otherwise.  I have no figures re:
> percentages, but there were times when we had literally hundreds of
> OM-10's waiting for warranty repair, and were getting more every day.
> It's so common that until proven otherwise, we assume an OM-10 we get
> for service _has_ sticky magnet.

Okay, I think this is the first time I've seen such encouraging comments for
an OM10. I've never had a problem with mine, bought new in 1978 I think. But
if it is an "excellent design otherwise", it makes me think it might be
worth a CLA when it develops sticky magnet. (I also have to figure in
nostalgic value). Never had a problem with my OMPC either.

Pushed the BIN on this lens this morning to replace one of the same range I
gave to my son yesterday, Kiron 80-200/4.5 zoom from Gary Reese.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1351106185&ed=1020686188&;
ssPageName=ADME:B:EOA:US:2
Give me a break, I can't afford all Zuikos. Any other "poor folks" use one
of these? Is the 4.5 aperture too restrictive?
Wayne