Re: [OM] Mix & match

Subject: Re: [OM] Mix & match
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 21:10:25 -0500
At 12:00 AM 5/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
At 12:34 5/4/02, Pete Prunskunas wrote:
I have a question for those of you who use 2+ camera bodies.
If you use multiple camera bodies, are they the same?

Does the question presuppose that one's Olympus OM odyssey has been a rational progression? Mine has involved a lot of experimentation, some of it rational, a lot of it emotional.

I seem to be using an OM-4T, OM-4, and OM-2S most of the time now. I like the OM-2S the best, probably because I got it before the OM-4T, but the OM-4 has some features I can't do without on the relatively rare occasions when they are needed. I suppose I would completely standardize on the OM-4 if I had enough of them. I keep about 3-4 different types of film going, so this number of multiple bodies represents a minimum for me (i.e., I have others ... <blush>)

It wasn't always like this. I was always a manual camera/manual transmission sort of person and thought the OM-1 up to all tasks. I still like the OM-1 for walkabout sorts of shooting, but the pleasures of the 2-series screens have completely corrupted me. With slide film I like shooting brackets with the exposure comp dial rather than the diaphragm so that I can keep the same f-stop throughout.

Other cameras have things to recommend them. The OM-2N has that OM-1 feel with the benefit of auto. The OMPC is great to take on and off a winder as it has no pesky MD cap. Unfortunately, neither can take the brighter screens.

One rarely starts into OM with the OM-4, it seems, but that's what I would probably recommend and standardize on that, with an OM-1 or OM2000 for winter shooting if that pertains to your environment.

Joel W.