Re: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:13:18 -0500
At 05:35 PM 4/5/02 +0000, Alan wrote:

(I have never used the canon 28-70f2.8L  but have seen plenty of pictures
from them -- I have used a 50mmf1.8 zuiko (both sc and mc). It is a ok
lens but nothing special for a 50mm).

Hi Folks,

Would someone mind telling me for the nth-teen time how to tell one of the gooduns in the 50mm f1.8? The reason I ask is that I recently completed some informal tests on several of my lenses. One thing I was looking for was to determine how much I was giving up if I chose to leave the 50mm at home and take a 35-75 zoom instead.

I didn't do a very exhaustive test. I used a tripod and shot a USAF 1951 resolution chart at a distance of 40 times the focal length on Velvia film. The camera body was an OM-4 and in several cases I took two shots with a given lens, one using the self timer and the other by cradling the camera with my finger on the shutter release. I made one shot at f8 on each lens and for several I shot at both wide open and completely stopped down.

I make my own prints using a Polaroid SS4000 scanner and Epson 1270 printer and I was interested in which lens would give the best image on a print so I scanned the slides, cropped out the resolution charts, enlarged them to 1/12" square and printed them on glossy photo paper. I then used a magnifying glass to evaluate the differences in the shots. Bottom line is that the 35mm, f2 was easily the sharpest lens by one grade. The 24mm, f2.8 and the 35-70mm, f3.5-4.5 and 35-70mm, 3.6 zooms (at 50mm) were next and were marginally sharper than my 50mm, f1.8. The worst performer was the 75-150mm, f4 zoom (at 100mm). It was four grades softer than the 35mm, f2. Well, I take that back - the worst performer was a hand held Olympus RC rangefinder which was softer than a 1968 Russian FED-3 rangefinder.

Anyway, from all I'd heard I expected a much better performance from the 50mm, f1.8. It's marked on the number ring with "Japan", "MC", and "Zuiko" and the serial number is 2,8xx,xxx which I thought would identify it as one of the better ones but - maybe not.

BTW, in the cases where I took two shots, one with the self timer and the other cradling the camera and my finger on the shutter release - these were at slow shutter speeds in the 1/8 to 1/2 second range and those using the self timer were sharper. I wonder if the results would have been different using an OM-2 without mirror pre-fire.

Later,
Johnny