[OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?

Subject: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:26:53 -0800
I recently took some of my favorites slides in for scanning. One of them, a photo of some crotons in front of a window on a house in Hawaii, was taken in 1984 at about 5:30 am with available light with Kodachrome 64 (it was taken with a black nose, single coated 50 mm f/1.8). I haven't uploaded a scan of this to my pbase gallery because the scan just doesn't seem to do justice to the slide (not that any of them do, but this one seems worse than the others in that respect). Anyway, its a very nice still life shot that I have gotten many positive comments on over the years. I was showing it to a co-worker friend the other day who has recently bought a Canon EOS3 with two zoom lenses; one of them is a 28-70mm, I believe (?). Anyway, when he viewed the slide the other day in the little Agfa viewer, he was just knocked out at the sharpness of the photograph and remarked that photos from his Canon lenses just don't look like that (he has been shooting with Fuji Provia 100, I might add). I have heard him make similar comments about these zooms before, but is this possible? I would have thought that Canon's years of R&D and resources in 20 years or greater would have resulted in superior sharpness, but apparently not(?).

Just as a side note, I think he is getting interested in OM stuff, as he told me the other day that there was an OM2-S "parts special" on the eVILBay the other day, so he must have been looking at OM equipment. I recently lent him my latest eBay aquisition, another OM-1N body, and my standard 50 and the 28 mm f3.5 lenses to shoot side by side with his Canon equipment. As he's a fellow scientist, it should be an interesting comparison. Stay tuned....

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!