Re: [OM] Shooting paintings

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting paintings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:34:54 -0500
At 14:16 3/30/02, tOM wrote:
It would also curve straight lines inside the painting and result in
mismatches with other images taken with xrays, MRI, or other imaging
techniques or equipment.

I wouldn't argue about very exacting reproduction required for full-size fine art prints being made of a painting, or for photometric purposes used by musea and auction houses to certify highly valuable artwork authenticity. It wouldn't be done hand held either, but with specialized studio equipment for lighting and mounting, including exacting measurements made between artwork and camera to ensure lens axis centering and perpendicularity to the artwork. Very likely it would also be done using a 4x5 (or larger) view camera, not 35mm small format.

The thread's gotten long enough that perhaps the original question has gotten lost in the discussion: How much photometric accuracy is required for an image to be printed in a brochure? If it's not detectably distorted by the unaided eye at the size required for brochure reproduction, it's sufficiently accurate. Enrique should be more concerned about lighting and setting it up to maintain a position reasonbly centered on and normal to the paintings, and color accuracy. His positioning and ability to maintain it will be his "first order" problem with visible distortions.

My advice is setting it up as best possible, shoot a few of a representative piece to finish off a roll of film, verify lighting and positioning methods work well enough, and that the lens does not introduce detectable distortion for intended use of the photographs. Once this is validated, then replicate the methods to shoot all the artwork. I just helped a [pro] friend do a studio shoot of a large piece of artwork. Purpose was similar. Extremely precise photometrics weren't necessary. Even lighting and glare elimination, accurate exposure, and accurate color rendition were much more important. The biggest problem we had was a very old work mounted under glass and we could not remove the glazing for the shoot.

-- John