Re: [OM] Medium format film scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium format film scanners
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:55:41 -0500
At 12:11 3/27/02, you wrote:
Epson makes a medium format which is I think the 2450 or 2480 at about $400.
Bill Barber

Bill,
I did a double-take at the price which is accurate (on the Epson site). However, the 2450 is a "flatbed" with a 4"x9" transparency adapter. These typically do not perform nearly as well as a true film scanner. If this one is an exception and does as well as a true film scanner, I'd be very interested!

The prices on film scanners for 35mm (and some "dual" with APS capability) have dropped considerably over the past few years. OTOH medium format film scanners have maintained comparatively very high prices. Cheapest I've found is the:
  Minolta DiMAGE (w/o PCI SCSI Card): $1300
  [add $50 if you need a SCSI card]

Then the prices *leap* to between $2600 and $3000 for the Polaroid Sprintscan 120 and the Minolta DiMAGE Multi-Pro. The price makes a *quantum* leap once more for the Kodak RFS-3570 that sells for $8,300 (I wonder if Kodak sells any).

I'm having trouble imagining it's film scanning technology as applied to a larger 6x4.5cm, 6x6cm or 6x7cm piece of film that is driving the cost, and suspect it's mostly the two words "medium format," lack of heavy competition, and what the respective companies feel the market can bear.

-- John