Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 00:51:37 -0500
I agree with Gary . . . new work . . . Olafo has bent the rules on both ends of the time window in the past provided it wasn't too far outside it and met at least the underlying reasons for having a "time window" in spirit if not by exact dates.

Don't think that many of us in some of the more rural areas had it much easier. In looking back through my archives, March is a "dry" month with little outdoor work. The climate here makes it an "ugly" period between Winter and Spring. My first thought about the timing of this TOPE for the northern hemisphere was "ARRRRGH!!"

Then I realized the challenge and struggle would be good; no strain, no pain, no gain. See my earlier remarks about making use of time of day just before and just after dawn in particular. Just before sunrise at this time of year (northern hemisphere) the sun often pulls up "ground fog" from damp ground and bodies of water. The very low angle lighting through it can often set a "mood" for a landscape that overwhelms its otherwise barren appearance during broad daylight. Just before and just after sunset is another magical time, although generally not as fruitful. The transition between night and day, and day and night produces a rapid "mood" change; one must be set up in advance to capture it.

Certainly NYC can provide something interesting . . . even if it celebrates the "barren" and bland nature of this time of year by accentuating its mood. Are you anywhere near the shorline, a park, an arboretum, a pond or reservoir? Try thinking about something impressionistic versus something representational. A landscape doesn't have to be a sweeping super-wide vista. I've seen very effective ones done using long telephotos; not so much to capture something at great distance, but to compress and flatten depth.

I've always interpreted a "cityscape" as a form of landscape that celebrates the city and its qualities versus architecturals celebrating aspects of manmade structures and their qualities . . . a fine line in shades a gray divide the two . . . one of those "I know which it is when I see it" things.

Just some rambling thoughts and ideas; not that well organized.

-- John